There’s nothing like biting into a crisp apple or a sweet, juicy pear on a brisk fall day. Market of Choice has endless varieties of these seasonal favorites to choose from, all featuring the unique flavors that come from local orchards.
In celebration of the harvest, here’s a guide to the autumn reds, golds and greens you’ll find in our Produce Department, as well as some ideas on how to use them in sweet and savory dishes – if you manage to save some for cooking or baking before eating them all.
Fresh from Kiyokawa Family Orchards
For more than a century, Kiyokawa Family Orchards has been raising apples and pears in Parkdale, Oregon, in the beautiful Hood River Valley. Kiyokawa’s specialty is heirloom apples that date back several generations. At the peak of the season, they pop with can’t-be-missed flavors, demanding to be savored.
- Mountain Rose Apple: Crack open this red-yellow-green fruit to find a heart of pink and cream and a blend of sweetness and tart.
- Red Ruben Apple: Bright red with an intense crispy tang and sweetness.
- Newtown Pippin Apple: One of the oldest American varieties, this hardy green winter apple is crisp and tart.
- Dolgo Crabapples: Sweet crimson fruits about the size of plums that are great fresh or as the base of a delicious, bright red jelly.
- Scarlett Surprise (Red Flesh) Apple: Bite into this red apple and discover the sweet and tart pink flesh inside.
- Valstar Apple: Golden yellow overlaid with deep red, this fruit features a soft, sweet crunch and a hint of honey.
- Sonata (Pinova) Apple: A crisp, sweet-tart apple with a touch of the tropical awaits inside this yellowish treat coated with bright pink streaks.
- Winesap Apple: Red-yellow skin and a wine-like, sweet-tart flavor.
- Forelle Pear: Brilliant yellow dotted by red freckles, with a buttery-like texture inside and a mix of tangy and sweet.
- Seckel Pear: Bite-sized and olive-green with brushes of maroon over a firm flesh and an acidic sweet taste.
In season from Riverwood Orchard & Farm
Here’s some of the plentiful varieties fresh off the tree from a 40-acre orchard in Monmouth, Oregon. One of the newer favorites is the hardy Crimson Crisp, which keeps its snappy bite much longer than traditional apples.
- Ambrosia Apple: A pink-yellow, honey-sweet apple with a soft crunch.
- Topaz Apple: The cream-colored, crisp flesh of this red and yellow apple is sharp and juicy.
- Jonagold Apple: This blend of tart, red Jonathan and sweet Golden Delicious apples is firm and tangy.
- Braeburn Apple: Varies from orange-red over yellow and green, with a bold blend of sweetness and tart and a hint of spice.
- Crimson Crisp Apple: As its name implies, this bright red apple is crisp and juicy with a balanced sweet-tart bite.
- Taylor’s Gold Pear: Cinnamon-colored skin with a creamy flesh and rich, sweet flavor.
- Concorde Pear: Long-necked green and yellow with dense, sweet and juicy flesh that has a distinct taste of vanilla.
To find out more about our partnerships with Kiyokawa Family Orchards, Riverwood Orchard & Farm and other growers, check out our Dig Local page and learn how we’re helping Oregon family farms grow their businesses and build a stronger food community.
Honey and Apple Cake: A lovely combination of sweet honey and tart Granny Smith apples in this delectable dessert. Vegetarian
Seared Pork Tenderloin with Apples, Hard Cider and Bacon: Drizzled onions and a hard cider mustard sauce make for a delicious blend. Gluten-free
Sausage and Apple Stuffing with Lemon and Almond Baby Broccoli: A sensational stuffing of artisan bread, fresh herbs and apple steals the show in this scrumptious dish.
Caramel Apple Tea Cake: This easy-to-make tea cake is perfect for a simple brunch or as dessert. Vegetarian, gluten-free option with gluten-free flour
Nueske’s Bacon, Apple & Cheddar Quiche: Few things pair as well as bacon, apples and cheddar cheese. This quiche has them all!
Baked Stuffed Pears: Make the most of pear season with these baked pears stuffed with hazelnuts and spices. Delicious when topped with Cranberry Drizzle! Vegetarian
Pear Pumpkin Spice Cake: Pumpkin, pears, ginger and spices bring out the wonderful fall flavors of this cake. To make it even more special, use pears grown in the Northwest. Vegetarian
Pear and Brie Galette: Toasted walnuts, apricot jam and a flakey butter crust complete a stunning dessert or brunch centerpiece. Vegetarian