Longer, warmer days are the perfect time to pack a picnic and enjoy a delicious meal outdoors. Whether it’s an outdoor event, a day at a vineyard or an afternoon at the park, Market of Choice has everything you’ll need to create a memorable picnic feast.
Start at Your Market Kitchen
Build a stunning picnic meal with our many ready-made Market Kitchen options. We have a sensational selection of fresh choices, from sandwiches and salads to fully cooked entrées and sides to suit every lifestyle, including plant-based and gluten-free friendly options.
A few of our favorite salads include our Summer Berries & Cream Salad and Oregon Blueberry & Grain Salad.
If you’re in a sandwich mood, your Market Kitchen crafts six cold sandwiches, layering inventive ingredients onto freshly baked breads. Try one, or try them all:
- Market Club on a Sub: This classic club features smoky bacon, turkey and shaved deli ham on a hoagie-style roll.
- Oregon Orchard Chicken Salad Croissant: Our Oregon Orchard Chicken Salad is piled on a buttery, flakey croissant, then topped with arugula.
- Santa Maria Tri-Tip Sandwich: Our succulent Santa Maria Tri-Tip fills a freshly baked, soft telera roll that’s slathered with garlic herb cheese spread, mayo and smokehouse barbecue sauce.
- Turkey, Bacon, Gouda Pretzel Croissant: So good, our pretzel croissant is spread with sweet cherry preserves and a smoky Gouda spread, then topped with our premium turkey breast and crisp bacon.
- Yo Adrian! Italian Grinder: This Italian grinder will satisfy any cravings for classic deli salamis, ham and provolone.
- Southern Chow Chow: Pepper turkey, Genoa salami and Swiss cheese are layered on our pretzel croissant and finished with our crisp and tangy Southern Chow Chow relish.
Washed and Ready, Savory and Sweet
Beyond your Market Kitchen’s prepared foods, you’ll find many suitable noshes that you can grab and go.
Your Market Produce Department offers packaged cut fruits, including mixed berries, melons, grapes or pineapple. Also find cut vegetables – carrots, celery, broccoli and more – all fresh and tasty, whether you like them plain or dipped.
Other finger foods for picnics are olives and pickled vegetables, which can be found near our Kitchen or Cheese Shop, where you’ll also discover locally produced cheeses and charcuterie that will pair perfectly with crackers and other snacks, like nuts and dried fruits.
Dessert is easy, too! Your Market Bakery makes a variety of sweet treats, just right for picnics, including cupcakes, muffins, cookies, bars, petit fours and sweet breads. Some of our favorites for summer include Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins, Cherry Pie Bars and Wheat-Free Lemon Trifles. Yum!
And nothing is as sweet as fresh flowers. Pick up a fresh bunch of flowers in your Market Floral Department to drop in a jar or cup for the middle of your picnic spread. You’ll score big points for picnic ambiance!
Don’t Forget Drinks
A picnic isn’t a picnic without refreshing beverages. Depending on your picnic location, nonalcoholic beverages will be most prudent, and we’ve got everything from sparkling waters and seltzers to fresh-squeezed juices, natural sodas and nonalcoholic craft beers.
If you’re picnicking someplace private, consider something special from our Beer & Wine Department, such as Market of Choice’s Community Cellars wines. John Grochau of Grochau Cellars has crafted for us a Pinot Gris, a Rosé of Pinot Noir and a Chardonnay that are sensational for summer.
Now that you’ve got everything you need foodwise, it’s time to pack up and get to picnicking.
- Don’t forget a blanket.
- Choose to use reusable plates, cups and silverware that are easy to take home and clean later.
- Bring paper towels or napkins – even better, pre-dampened paper towels to clean sticky fingers.
- Grab a wine/bottle opener.
- Pack cold, bottled water or beverages around food to keep it cold.
- Bring a trash bag to stash garbage.
- Wear a hat and pack sunscreen and bug spray.
- Cards anyone? Pack a deck or check out the selection of small, packable games and activities found in our Home & Gift Department.